Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The beginning

I just read Katie's birth story for her little Kayson
and it made me want to share my story!
After I started writing it all down I realized it is pretty long..
So you will get to enjoy it over a couple days.

Here we go!!

Since I was a newbie to this whole "baby-having-thing" I was a little nervous that I would not know labor when I saw it.  Ha!

Thursday, May 6th, around 3 am I woke up to use the bathroom like normal.  As I was taking care of business I had a pretty bad pain in my back.  It went away after a little while so I didn't really think too much of it.  I got back into bed and hoped I could get back to sleep quickly.  Just as I was starting to drift away I felt the pain again.  I looked at the clock and it had been about 10 minutes.  I thought my little goon was maybe just sitting funny and causing me some pain so I tried another position and settled in to sleep once again.  Twelve minutes later my friendly little back ache was back.  I remembered something a good friend of mine had told me about labor, it usually starts with a little ache in the back.  I decided to walk around a little to see if they would stop.  Nope.  I got back into bed and just sat there watching the clock and playing on my phone.  About every 10-15 minutes I was having what could only be contractions.  Logan finally woke up and was wondering what I was doing.  After I told him I thought I was going into labor he decided it would be a good excuse to miss work - slacker.

I tried going back to sleep again and again but only got to sleep for about 1/2 hour.  Since it was a Thursday I was, of course, planning on going over to Kari's.  Since Logan stayed home I took him over with me and we told her the news.

*Side note*  We did not tell very many people I was possibly in labor because I knew it would take a while before things really got started.  And because I just love keeping secrets. ;)

Kari wanted to help me speed things along so out shopping we went.  She was looking out for me and decided I needed some freezer meals (which I totally forgot about until just this second...  I know what's for dinner tonight!!)  Like I said before, I knew this early labor stuff could drag on for quite a while so I wasn't timing contractions or anything silly like that.  That wouldn't fly with Kari though.  She started timing me and I was contracting about every 4-6 minutes, all still in my back.

While we were finishing up the freezer meals we had a little scare.  My mother wanted to stop by and see some material we had bought.  By this point I was having a hard time hiding those painful little buggers.  Luckily I am just that good and my poor mother had no clue what was going on. :)  Love ya Ma!

Next up on the list to get Cassie to the hospital was a walk around the block.  Walking definitely helped speed things along.  By this point I was having to slow down and breath about every 2-4 minutes.  Kari and Logan were both trying to talk me into going to the hospital but I was not in too much pain yet so we held out a little longer.

*Side note #2*  I was very against going to hospital "too soon."  I WAS NOT going to be one of those people who get sent home because they are not far enough along.  I was planning on holding out as long as I could and then a lot longer.

That evening a very good family friend was going through the temple to get ready to be married the next day.  I really really wanted to be there for her during this exciting time.  I argued with Kari and told her I would be fine to go and promised I wouldn't have the baby in the temple.  She told me I couldn't go.  It was getting time to meet my mom and dad to leave for the temple so I had to ruin the fun and spill the beans to them.  Dang it all..

Logan and I headed back home where I decided to try a warm bath.  I was able to get some sleep while soaking and pass a bit of time.  When I got out things had started to get a little more intense so I told Logan to make sure everything was packed up and ready to go.  Before we left for the hospital I asked Logan to give me a blessing of comfort.  I am so glad I did because I could feel that blessing working all night long.

Around 7 pm I finally gave in.  We got loaded into the car and set off for the hospital!

Sounds like a good stopping place for today.

Here is a picture to reward you for all that reading :)

 

4 comments:

Tanya said...

WHAT a cutie!!

Unknown said...

seriously Cassie, just when it was getting good!!

Tyler, Eleasha, and Wyatt said...

That sounds a lot like my labor with Wyatt. Other than I couldn't have went and did everything you did. I could barely walk around the house during contractions for the 24 hours before I decided to go to the hospital.

The Wheelers said...

Oh my...you are amazing! That must have been nice to have both Kari and Logan there as your coaches in beginning! That picture is literally TOO CUTE!!!